Application Development Sins
Just two more and we have our complete list of Deadly Application Development Sins. Today we take a look at the penultimate one, Envy, which unfortunately is ubiquitous in software development, regardless of branch. Mobile programming, desktop application development, web development, no matter where you look you are guaranteed to find firms and companies poking around in their neighbors’ yard and being envious of their accomplishments.
It’s true that this habit also has a constructive side as it can stimulate and drive developers to try harder and surpass their contenders. It’s called competition and it’s very healthy for ongoing developments. However, more often than not, especially when it comes small or medium firms, envy has a detrimental effect on software development and here is why.
What usually happens is that companies become too focused on what the competition is doing and are sidetracked from their initial goals and projects. Moreover, some will even try to replicate their contender’s developments which undoubtedly leads to inefficient workflows and sub-par products.
The best thing to do for any company in order to avoid this kind of situation is to stick to what they do best. After all, doing only one thing, let’s say Facebook or Desktop and Mobile Development, but doing it really well is a great way to create a solid brand that’s instantly recognizable due to its trademark activity.
- Development Sins – 1 Lust Starting with this post I want to approach software development from a different perspective and present you with a slightly odd “ DOs and DON’Ts “ list.
- Development Sins – 2 Gluttony Today I want to continue my list of the Seven Deadly Sins of software development by taking a look at the second one, Gluttony and seeing how it relates to the creation of applications and websites.
- Development Sins – 3 Greed It’s a new week and that means it’s time to take a look at the next deadly sin of software development, and this time we’ve got a really serious one on our hands: Greed.
- Development Sins – 4 Sloth This week we’re going to take another in-depth look at one of the 7 deadly sins and try to understand how it can affect software development.
- Development Sins – 5 Wrath Today I realized that this week is almost over and we’ve yet to take a look at another deadly sin and see how it applies to software development. Today we take a look at the penultimate one, Envy, which unfortunately is ubiquitous in software development, regardless of branch.
- Development Sins – 7 Pride This week’s post concludes our list of the seven deadly application development sins and the last one is what I consider to be the most serious of them all: Pride.